Thursday, September 10, 2009

WHERE THE POWER CONNECTS!
When we think of worship we are confronted with what goes on at the beginning of the morning church service. It is traditional and yet not formal like many denominations. Years ago it was different and change came about in the early 80's with the introduction of "praise songs" instead of "hymns." Through the last 28 years or so, lots of controversy has reared it's ugly head and churches have split into two services and if that is not bad enough into two different congregations.

In the 80's Jim and I attended the North American Christian Convention which was being held in Anaheim, California. When everyone came together for the service at the close of each day we were impressed with how the service flowed. No MC to introduce each act! The song leader didn't lead by waving his arms! The words were put on massive overhead screens for everyone to see and there were a mixture of hymns and choruses. It was very moving! No interruptions and lots of continuity. It flowed! The last night, towards the very end, I left for the ladies room and as I was returning, I found myself standing alone in the hall, outside of the huge auditorium, listening to the people singing the Lord's Prayer a cappella. I love to sing! But I didn't sing. I was so moved, I cried! I was worshiping! I don't believe I had ever experienced anything like that evening! I am not saying that I had never worshiped but never had I felt the tug upon my heart and my mind at the same time, as I did that night.

Because of that evening, I wondered if others had experienced what I had felt. I talked with Betty, who also had attended the convention. She was an accomplished pianist and choir director and found she was interested in the new format called "worship." We saw that this was part of the new movement which was spreading within the churches. We could become a part of it or be left behind wondering what it is all about. Together, and with the help of many others, we offered a 'Rogue Valley Church Music Workshop', where we gave incites of what we had learned and how the churches could be influential in leading their congregations in a closer walk with God through a complete worship experience with a team called 'worship leaders.'

It was coming without our help and we had no idea that some of God's people would fight it with such intensity as to stop attending church and/or fighting with the worship teams. However, I loved it! Praise the Lord that He is so patient! Praise the Lord with a new song!

When I was a child we sang choruses. In the church services we sang hymns. Today we sing 'praise and worship songs.' Song's have words! These words express a thought! These thoughts can be in the form of praise, worship, communion, congregational, testimony, invitations, prayer and/or closing. It is all in the words! Praise and worship are directed to God alone!

The Psalms is where many of the 'praise and worship songs' come from. In Psalms 29:2 it says; "Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness." In other words, forget about yourself and worship God! In Psalms 95:6-7; "It says; "Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care." Psalms 132:7; "Let us go to His dwelling place; let us worship at His footstool." We sing to prepare us and lead us in worship!

2 Chronicles 29:27-30 tells about Hezekiah and his people as they sacrificed to the Lord. The service began with singing accompanied by trumpets and instruments. The whole assembly bowed in worship being led by the worship team. When the offerings were completed the assembly continued in praising with gladness and worshiping. I love being a part of worship. I love feeling the spirit within the church move! God knows the hearts of his worshipers as He listens to their praise! "Listen, Oh my soul, to my Lord!" By Jane Ann Crenshaw 6/24/08

No comments: