Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SWEET BOYS ARE LIKE THAT!
Lynn was a year younger than I. He was a sweet boy and he grew to be a sweet man! My first memories of him was when I pushed him into a galvanized tub of HOT water. It scalded his bottom and Jean remembers rushing him to the hospital. Obviously he was tormenting me as little boys do to their sisters and I reacted! Everyone likes Lynn!

I remember that our home chores were never delegated to the boys. They may have taken the trash out, except for the trash in the bathroom; and perhaps burned it in the incinerator and when they got older to mowing the lawn. They were usually free to participate in all sports activities after school and also on weekends. I always said; Mom loved the boys best.

I remember a movie scout was interested in Lynn. Of course you had to pay for the screen test. With his red hair, blue eyes and freckled face; why not? He was sitting on the front porch waiting to go for his test. he was very unhappy! I asked him what was wrong and he said; "I don'it want to be a movie star, I just want to play football!" Well, he did play football and baseball in school but he never became a movie star. Lynn had a talent for people! A room lights up when he walksinto it, making everyone present, glad they came.

My son Dan, was a sweet boy and has grown into a sweet man! He never showed any desire to be competitive in sports or competitive in anything for that matter. However, his talents overflowed! He is an accomplished pianist and vocalist! In his quiet, unassuming way he has thrilled thousands with his spirit and strength upon the keyboard and with his life.

Obedience is a trait that most want in their children but it is not always realized. I remember when Danny was 4. It was time to let him go out front and become more acquainted with the world on that side of the house. I told him he could take whatever he wanted outside but he and all his things were to stay upon the front porch. A very small front porch! His only instruction was that he couldn't go off the front porch. My neighbor called me over and I stood inside her front bedroom so I could look out the window and watch Danny. Kids came by and then went on their way but Danny stayed on the front porch. I was watching for about 10 minutes and then returned home. Today when Danny comes into a room, it lights up and everyone present are glad they came. It amazes me that most of the boys I have known, have been like that. My brothers, my son, my grandsons. Even my Jim! Sweet boys all and now they have become sweet men or will be.

When Jesus came into the world He was a sweet baby in the manger. He was an obedient child except for when he forgot the time and stayed to long in the Temple with the elders. After all He was about His Father's business! "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:52 The story is told about the first miracle that Jesus performs. "This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him." John 2:11 This sweet man called Jesus, showed His power, for the first time in public and from then on never stopped amazing those He came in contact with. Even those who wanted to destroy Him! I believe that whenever Jesus walked into a room, it became alive not only with the light of the world but with the presence of God. Only God can take a withered soul and make it new and strong and full of the spirit! Only God can fill an empty vessel and bring it to overflowing with substance, springtime and perfume. Only God can say; "Come and I will make you more than you ever thought you could be." Some say; "Boys will be boys!" But I say; "Sweet boys will be like Jesus!" By Jane Ann Crenshaw 6/26/08

No comments: