Tuesday, September 8, 2009

TEACHING WOMEN!
Fourteen years ago, my desire was to reach one young woman who needed the Lord. I became the leader of a Ladies Sunday Morning class! After about 6 years of teaching 'Women of the Bible and other various subjects' directed towards women becoming the persons God has created them to be, I discovered I loved teaching women!

Because of this experience I have found a special place in my heart for older women. Women of God who are in that time of their lives where each day is a matter of determination and fortitude and not measured by seemingly endless accomplishments or great expectations. Although many of those from my first class have crossed over the threshold, there are a few that I still keep in touch with. I loved these women and thank the Lord for using me in such a special way as to help them to prepare to enter the gates of heaven.

When we moved I began another group of ladies in a different town but within the same family of God. These women were also a mixture of young and old like the first group of ladies and yet they were seeking God's word to fulfil their hopes and aspirations as they continued in the service of the King. These women were not afraid to share with one another and were willing to bring God's word to a fuller understanding within each of their hearts. What a joy! What great love that can develop when we allow God to work among us and to change us.

I have heard teacher's being called facilitators, which mean they basically lead a discussion group. Most times a conclusion is not reached but just a concensus of opinions. I consider myself a teacher because I believe God's word can bring us to understanding and knowledge. That does not mean that I have a full understanding of God's word or wisdom, but together a truth can be reached which is satisfying until the next time we read the scripture again.

Most are afraid to become teachers because of James 3:1-2 which says; "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgement. For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well." I suppose if you are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ, those verses would set you back. Having the Holy Spirit within enables me and others to teach because we are not in the habit of practicing sin. We are well aware of the stumbling blocks and 'asking forgiveness' is always on our tongues.

I often tell the story of a child walking down the street with his mother. Pulling on her hand, that he was holding, he exclaimed; "Mom, Mom, look there is God!" Pointing across the street he saw his Sunday School teacher. When we teach God's word we could be setting ourselves up for just the same kind of recognition. It is important that as the teacher of God's word, we remember Psalms 25:4-7; Asking the Lord to make known His ways; to teach us His truth; That we should wait upon Him all day; we request that God would remember us with His love and compassion. Skipping down to verse 11; "For thy names sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great!"

Most importantly, read Romans 8:12a; "Those who teach, are to teach themselves. If we teach "do not steal", we are not to steal either!" In other words the things we teach against, we should not be doing ourselves! Remember we are to; "Practice what we preach!"

Teaching can cause one to become puffed up, therefore teachers should be careful. I love the verse found in Titus 2:3. "Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good." Also Colossians 3:17 says; "Whatever you do in word and deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Thank you Lord for using me! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/29/08

No comments: