Friday, January 9, 2009

EMULATE!
Webster’s definition for this word is to; "to strive to equal or surpass another". Are you an emulator? Do you try to be somebody else? Those who are actor’s are emulators! They have an emulous character. They desire to imitate or rival another, sometimes to selfish ends. Many times we emulate another person because we admire them so much that we inadvertently take on some of their characteristics.

I have watched my children as they were growing take on facial expressions that some of their friends had. This is part of growing up! We all have done this. Children become involved in click’s because of their desire to be accepted within a certain group. This can also be applied to gangs of today. Children who are feeling left out and wanting to belong will get caught up with undesirable behavior because of the desire to emulate and be accepted.

Some children, who feel left out and know it is wrong to run in packs of disobedient behavior, become withdrawn and are considered loners. Personally, I don’t believe that is entirely wrong behavior. I believe that is being considerate of who you are and who you want to be. I have to admit I would be considered one of those if it were not for the church and for the grace of God. Hebrews 6:12 says; "Do not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises".

One of my favorites persons in the scriptures, outside of Jesus Christ, is Paul. His strength of character is what I want. In 1 Corinthians 4:16 Paul encourages us with; "I urge you then, be imitators of me." Paul continues in 1 Corinthians 11:1 with; "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ"! Again in Philippians 3:17 Paul says; "Brethren, join in imitating me, and mark those who so live as you have, an example in us".

It goes like this; Christ lived to show us how to live; Paul became an imitator of Christ to show us that we could live like Christ; We, who imitate Paul are imitator’s of Christ; Those who see Christ in us will be imitator’s of us and so it will continue until Christ comes again.

The characteristics of Paul and Jesus Christ are worth imitating; don’t you think? If we should light just one little candle with the character of Jesus Christ, think how bright our world would be. Jane Ann

No comments: