Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WHAT PRODUCES CHARACTER?
Seven or eight months ago we switched from Direct TV to Charter so we could bundle our TV, telephone and get high speed internet. With Direct TV we were able to get many programs that we enjoyed, even though we complained about all the trash. But we wanted to get rid of ‘dial up’ and liked the sounds of the convenience of the offer. Since we have had cable there is very little that we can watch and often suggest we get a new TV because this one has nothing good on it. Needless to say that we have broken the habit that we acquired upon retiring. Watching TV from morning to night! Cable must be a gift from God!

As a young woman I enjoyed reading romance novel’s! Especially, the gothic’s! I had so many of them that when I realized I could save money by checking them out of the library, I became a regular. I then discovered the library would take my old paperbacks. I kept the hardbacks because I truly love books and just felt I couldn’t give them up.

Now that I am an old woman I know that even though I read good books with good morals and good conclusions, it still is a lot of garbage in. I discovered that reading some of those stories did not help in building my character. Even though the hero and heroine were of good report, it couldn’t hold a candle to the training I have received by living my life as a Christian, receiving my instructions from God’s word. Endeavoring to be humble in the sight of the Lord.
Don’t get me wrong; that doesn’t mean I have a perfect character, nor am I a perfect Christian. It means that the road I am on is leading me day by day, to become the person that God has created me to be. I am on the right track. His word corrects me and admonishes me. I do my best to pay attention and take everything personally. How about you?

I have a calendar by my computer that I received from "My Mechanic Auto Repair". For January it says; "The measure of success is not how high you climb, but how high you bounce once you hit bottom".

In Romans 5 Paul is talking about being justified by faith through Jesus Christ. In verses 3-4 Paul says; "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance and endurance produces character, and character produces hope". Reading about life does not produce character. Character is not produced by lesson’s in a class room. Character comes from being nurtured by good parents, enduring all that life hands you through trials, love, obedience and perseverance. A good character comes with no handles. Jane Ann

No comments: