Thursday, January 29, 2009

I have heard from some who agree, being with their mate is sufficient in itself. Marriage is a bond that creates a unity of ideals, thoughts and identity. I am still myself but more complete!
How many of you have renewed your wedding vows? I am sure many of you have and for those of us who haven’t perhaps that day will come. Perhaps you choose to let well enough alone!
Let’s take a look at the possibility of SAYING "I DO" AGAIN!

March 2007 there was an article in the USA Weekend written by Judy Mandell. It had tips for renewing your wedding vows. The following is sort of a short synopses of her tips.
Unlike the etiquette involved in planning the first-time wedding, renewing your vows is pretty much open to personal preferences.

1) Timing: There is no right time or age. You can celebrate and renew the vows however the
spirit moves you. Most popular is 10, 15, 25, 50 and 60th.
2) Guests: Invitations are not obligational nor are they necessary. Ask who you want!
3) The celebration: Entirely up to you! It can be elaborate or a living room event.
4) Vows: Anyone you choose can lead you through your renewal vows. This ceremony is not
binding and does not require legality.
5) Gifts: Not required, nor appropriate.
6) Clothes: Brides can wear any color or style they want. Unlike the white wedding dress, the
"veil" still represents virginity, therefore, ‘no veil’ because it signifies a first-time bride.

I’ve been to a few anniversary celebrations where the vows were renewed. One was held in my living room. Our dear friends and pastor for many years were celebrating their 25th. Their children wanted to give them a surprise party. Our home was not very large but we crammed in as many as we could. The most fun was that the renewing of the vows were not in the plans, but it happened anyway. Pastor Shafer, who we all knew and loved was in attendance and as it worked out, he renewed their vows; How fun!

Another time was a 50th anniversary. These were new friends of ours and also one of our pastors. This setting was in the church and the celebration was a simulation of a legal and binding ceremony including rings. I suppose any occasion is good for giving gifts of rings; don’t you think?

I have often thought I would like for Jim and me to renew our vows. Jim has never wanted to do that! Mainly, because it is just not something he wants to do. He feels it was a success the first time, why try to make it any better than it already is. However, I still think about it! I suppose it’s the romance of the thought. After all the first time around was romance personified! Can the freshness and newness ever be recaptured again?

The picture God gives us of the church, is the church as the bride and Christ, the bridegroom. This picture gives us an idea how intimate Christ wants to be with his church. This picture gives us an example of the word faithfulness and commitment. Renewing our vows gives us a picture of coming back to our first love, because Acts 3:19a says; "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out". Acts 26:18b Jesus says; "that they may receive forgiveness of sins and place among those who are sanctified by faith in me". He is talking about those who turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God.

Renewing our marriage vows is also a way to let the one we committed ourselves to, so many years before, know that our place in the sun is still beside them. I love being married! How about you? Jane Ann

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Yes, I do remember that time in your living room. That vow renewing embarrasses me and that is probably why Jim in reluctant too. Guess you will have to spring it on him as a surprise someday.

In recent years we are having a real problem losing Vernon's wedding ring. He had to remove it to work at Micro 100 and when he was through there we could not find the ring. So this Christmas we bought him another one. When he went in for surgery, at the last minute he told me to take his ring. I thought I put it in my purse but several days later I looked and could not find it. I think we are going to buy a cheapie old plastic band next time. He works at the senior center and was uncomfortable without his ring because some little old ladies were awfully friendly with him.

One great benefit of long marriages is the shared history. My sister remarried after her husband died and I see a real hindrance in that with her new husband, though he is a great guy, they do not have shared history. They don't really know each others adult children and grandchildren. It is definately a hindrance to being at one with a partner.