Monday, January 12, 2009

ONLY YOUR HAIRDRESSER KNOWS 1/12/09

Many years ago there was an advertisement regarding hair. If you used this product, only your hairdresser would know. When I was young my hair was red. Not the beautiful flaming red, nor the deep dark enchanting red. Mine was more of the auburn drab red. However, it was thick! In my early twenties I coveted the red hair of the beauty operator that was doing my hair. I asked her to make my hair like hers. My first mistake was coveting! The second mistake was giving into an easy solution, or so I thought.

She used a permanent process. Permanent meaning it would last longer than four weeks and then you had to keep up with the roots....This was not only an inconvenience but costly because it started me on the road for one fix after another until my hair was not as thick as it used to be nor was it as red but sort of a mousey brown with red highlights. My hair was becoming damaged goods and I didn’t even use hair spray. That is until I was in my middle thirty’s and needed major help. It was then, I bought my first can of hair spray! Now I can’t live without it!

In my sixty’s I began to use various medicines to help keep me alive longer. The rumor is that the benefits of medicines outweigh the side effects. I fell for that and it took me six years to realize that was also a phrase used to convince you of the need for the product. During my awakening regarding medicines I lost a lot of hair. My hairdresser said I had to choose between color or perms. I bought a wig to match my color! Didn’t like it! I couldn’t go out of the house without a perm and so decided that white hair was better than no hair at all. Then I bought a little wiglet that covered the worse areas. And on it goes!

Years ago, an elderly friend of mine suggested I use salt and baby oil. I did try that during my adventure into old age and it worked. I had forgotten all about that! I tried it again, against the advice of my hairdresser. After five weeks of shampooing, rubbing salt into my scalp, rinsing it off, applying a small amount of baby oil into my hair and scalp, rinsing it off followed by shampooing again, my hair began to show signs of growing back and becoming thicker. I suppose it could be my imagination but I really do think it helped my hair to grow.

There are those who undergo certain types of Chemo treatment that will cause you to lose your hair. Even though you may lose your hair, when the treatment is complete, your hair will grow back. On these occasions, we are reminded that ‘bald is beautiful’!

In Eccl. 1:2 it says; "Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity"! Vanity, as used here, alludes to the uselessness and emptiness of life which is not lived in fellowship with God. In reading Eccl 12:1-8 we find the writer is telling us that everything is useless and that we should live for God always. Eventually, we will all go to our eternal home and the mourners will go about their business. In verses 6-8 he refers to the silver cord or the golden bowl. The pitcher broken at the fountain or the wheel broken at the cistern. Our riches will be dust and returned to the earth just as we will. Our spirit returns to God! Again he repeats; "Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, all is vanity". He concludes with verses 13-14 with; "At the end of what you have heard"; "Fear God, and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or bad". I guess that puts to rest the idea that, only your hairdresser will know.

It is good to be presentable. It is good to look good. It is good to be happy. But do it as Colossians 3:23 says; "heartily, as serving the Lord and not men". As to thinning hair, or being bald, even though ‘bald is beautiful’; I think my spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak! However, bald does look good on Jim! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/4/08

No comments: