Friday, January 16, 2009

I find it interesting that when I start with one of my devotions, the following discussions sort of take me by surprise. I do prepare them a week before I use them but I am not always prepared where the discussion takes me. This week truly had a mind of its own. It led me through some issues that I personally deal with. Advertisements and the rating system! However, I am always brought back to the same theme; "Our God is Good"! When I fall, He is there to pick me up; He dusts me off and helps me to start all over again. He is my hearts desire!

WHAT ARE THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART?
If you could put
the desire of your heart into one word; what would it be? I think mine would be "happy". When you are happy, you feel content. You wear a smile and feel confident. When you are happy, all circumstances in your life are running smoothly. Being happy indicates that you must have everything you want and everybody loves you. Interestingly enough, God has never promised us happiness; He has promised us joy!

Do I have joy? Well, I do know that even though it is a desire of mine, I am not happy all the time. It has been said that; "happiness depends upon happenings"! Things that happen in my life are not always conducive to my being happy. Many times I am sad! But do I have joy? Because of the times we live in I am saddened by what I see and hear. I am saddened how the world has helped to increase the kinds of advertisements that we are bombarded with. I am saddened how many of the church family fall into the traps set by Satan through these ‘just do it’ and ‘everybody is doing it’ syndromes. Even though I find the things around me becoming more and more depressing, John 3:16 gives me hope and joy that in due time, Jesus will come again. I believe in His promises and in the saving grace of our Lord and Savior.

Do you have joy? Psalms 30:5 says; "For His anger is but for a moment, and His favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning". Years ago a dear neighbor of ours had a little 4 year old boy named Damon. One morning shortly after I lost my brother, she came over with Damon. She told me he greeted her that morning with; "Oh what a glorious morning"! Of course he was parroting his mother but coming from one so small it was joy to my ears and a reminder that God has promised us glorious mornings in spite of our happenings.

I was reminded this morning of the story of Cain and the words that God spoke to him in Genesis 4:6-7; "Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it."

Do we have joy? Psalms 37:3-4 says; "Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart". In spite of all that I have experienced in my lifetime, and in spite of my disappointments along with great losses; I have joy! My God is real! He lives within in me! How can I not have joy! How about you; Does your joy come with the morning? Jane Ann

No comments: