Tuesday, January 20, 2009

HOW TO BE INVOLVED!
Many times we find ourselves
watching a situation and wonder if we should get involved. It is like standing outside of a window, looking in. Many times we watch and then quickly walk on by, in hopes that everything turns out alright, or that perhaps nobody saw us there in the first place. With a sigh of relief, we know we made the best decision because, what could we have done anyway.

One afternoon after the kids arrived home from school, we climbed into the car and headed towards town. I turned off the main highway onto the road that would take us about 13 miles into town. Just pass where I turned we came upon a fight between two boys around the age of 11 or 12. Several other kids were standing around watching. It was obvious they all had just gotten off the bus and had started down the dirt road leading to their homes when the fight broke out. I pulled the car off the road and turn the engine off. I started to open the car door and my kids begged me not to get involved; they would probably have trouble at school the next day, if I did. I got out anyway! I yelled and yelled at the boys to stop. They were now in the ditch, pommeling each other and I could see blood. I started to go into the ditch when another car stopped and a man got out. He stopped the fight!

I have no idea what I was going to do and I probably would have gotten hurt in the ditch but I couldn’t stand by and watch what was going on, nor could I just drive on by. However, I did worry about the kids and the possibility of repercussions at school. Many good doers are hurt in the process of doing good. But what if you aren’t hurt? What if you can save the day? What would Jesus do?

1 John 4:7 says we are to love one another. John is talking about us loving our Christian brothers and sisters but in Matthew 19:19 Jesus says we are also to love our neighbor as ourselves. We can’t do that unless we become involved! We will not be led astray when we fulfill God’s commandments. We are doing what Jesus would do! We get into trouble when we do what our neighbors are doing. We are asked only to love them, not become like them!

Becoming involved can be done in many ways; like praying for others; fixing food to satisfy and help out; mowing a lawn or shoveling snow; visiting the sick and or sharing God’s word even when it is not received well. Becoming involved can result in saving the lost as in James 5:19-20 where it says; "My brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins". This verse tells us that bringing back anyone to the right path is a necessary work for all believers.

What would Jesus do? What he did is ‘involvement personified’! Now ask yourself; "What am I do!" Jane Ann

No comments: