Monday, January 26, 2009

WHY MARRIAGE! 1/26/09

This week we are going to talk about proposals, weddings and why marriage! Some is just fun stuff but underlying all of it is a message that God gave us. God has longed for all of us to be content; He has given us choice so that we can fulfill our desires; He has always been there waiting, waiting and waiting; The most wonderful bridegroom ever!

WHAT WAS YOUR MARRIAGE PROPOSAL LIKE?
My Mother was 16
when she married my Dad! She said she was lying in bed when Daddy asked her to marry him. In bed! Lying in Bed! Mom explained; "I was in a hospital bed, having just had my appendix’s removed. I often wondered if it was the same hospital I was born in. The Jennie Edmunson Hospital! Council Bluffs had a fire that year. Mom said she could see the flames from her hospital room when I was born.

Jim’s Mom had an unbelievable proposal. At least to me, since I am Miss prude! Sunday evening she met a young man at the pie sociable. Wednesday evening as she was standing at the front gate to her yard, this same young man and his friend came walking down the lane. He stopped at her gate and said; "Saturday, I will be by to get you and we will get married". She didn’t even know this man! Needless to say I was shocked! I asked her; "Did you marry him?" She shook her head and said; "Of course!" She was 15 years old!

I was 23 when Jim brought me home after a ‘Young Adult’ outing. He pulled up in front of my house and turned the motor off. He turned towards me and said; "I love you"! I said; "Thank you!" What a way to begin a proposal! I know I was stunned that anyone would love me, but before I could rationalize the situation, he was asking me to marry him and I was saying yes. We were married six months later.

‘They’ say, that the first biggest investment a couple can make is buying their first home. The second is purchasing a new car! I beg to differ with whomever ‘they’ are. The biggest investment a couple ever make is in each other; marriage! Buying a home is big and so is buying a car but because getting married is the biggest decision made, it should also be considered your biggest investment. ‘They’ also say, that if the marriage doesn’t work, you can always get a divorce. How sad when couples enter matrimony with the idea of divorce already in play. For me, divorce was never an option! Our desires, need to stop listening to ‘they’ and pay closer attention to what our hearts and minds are saying.

I have boxes in my closet full of wedding memorabilia and babies coming to live at our house. I look at them once in a while! I suppose keeping them helps me to not forget those wonderful events in my life. Events that changed my life forever!

There is another life changing event that is far more eventful than getting married. It is called being ‘born again’. Romans 6:1-2 talks about accepting Christ and continuing in sin. How can we do that? Paul explains in verses 3-4 that when we are baptized into Christ Jesus we are baptized into his death. That is no idle thought! When we are baptized, we are being buried, putting to death the old man of sin and then are raised by the power of the Father to walk in a new life. Getting married is considered a new life and it is for a time. Becoming ‘born again’ through baptism is a new life that is promised forever. Jane Ann

1 comment:

elandreth said...

College Press, I believe it is, has a book called "Baptism, the Marriage Ceremony."

It was ten months from our first date to our marriage. That was during my second year at BBC. I had no idea it would happen so quickly. I was just having a good time. But there was a guy I had met in Alaska, the summer before, and he decided he liked me and was coming to BBC that next fall. He said he was going to buy a purple Cadillac when he got to Boise. Was he trying to impress me or what. He started writing me and Vernon started getting nervous. Finally he told me that we were going to get married that summer or not at all. I thought it was a joke at first but finally realized he was serious. Much later I realized he was afraid this other guy would steal my heart so he wanted to take me out of circulation before the other guy had a chance. So Vernon wanted to marry me to keep the other guy from getting me. And I wanted to marry him because I didn't like that other guy and wanted to be out of circulation when he got there. (That was easier I guess than telling him I wasn't interested.)

I guess God has a sense of humor because he knew we were right for each other so drove us together in this way.

I've often thought that it really wasn't fair that I got such a good husband when there are so many scrounges in this world. I thought I got the most patient one until I met Jim. I loved watching his patience with you and the kids. He was usually ready to go home long before you guys were. It was the opposite with Vernon and I. I am always ready to leave before he is. There might be one more person to talk to and cheer up before he leaves. I get tired of hearing those old jokes over and over. He thinks people really enjoy them and I tell him they are just patronizing him. We're probably both right about 50% of the time.