Wednesday, July 29, 2009

EMBARRASSED?
It is true that when someone gives you a gift for no reason, you feel a little embarrassed. Embarrassed because you didn't think to give that person a gift for no reason? Embarrassed because you just don't know what to say? Embarrassed maybe; but I am sure you are secretly pleased.

When we feel embarrassed it is because we begin to feel ill at ease. We feel a little tongue tied and perhaps a little disconerted. We are put off guard and momentarily lose our composure. I hate to be embarrassed! My face begins to feel warm and I know it is becoming flushed. Now; I not only feel embarrassed, but I look embarrassed!

Receiving a gift or a gift that cost more than the one you gave is not a reason to be embarrassed, nor does it need explanations. Be a gracious receiver! Regardless of how much it cost, treat it as very valuable! My mother treated everything that was given to her the same. She hung everything on her walls; displayed everything on her shelves and table tops; She wore what you gave her; She was contended and never said; "Why did you give me that, or I already have one, or why don't you keep that, I know you could use it." Perhaps this wasn't all the time!

I realize there are all kinds of circumstances regarding gifts you receive. Perhaps you already have one; it is to small; and the list goes on. Wait a while before getting rid of it or ask if it is okay to exchange it. But don't make a fuss about it! Don't treat the giver as being insignificant, but treat them as you would want to be treated. "Therefore, however, you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Gag gifts are just that! A gag! Jim's family at their Christmas party did gag gifts. After many years the gifts now have a monetary limit and usually it is something that is useful but not necessarily a gag anymore. We started doing the gag gifts at my families Christmas party and it turned into exchange gifts. So in July we draw family names and on Christmas eve we open them. The gag gifts have melted into the past. I don't mind gag gifts as long as you let the person know or at least give some indication that this gift is just in fun. Feelings can get hurt!

Personally, I like receiving gifts that I can use. I suppose most of my children and family know this because I don't have a lot of trinket's on my shelves and table tops, nor do I have many gifts hanging on my walls. I am still using wedding gifts although I wished I had kept all the duplicates, instead of giving them away, because some things just never last. Embarrassed? No!

Again, lets listen to what Jesus has to say while sitting on the hillside. We call it the 'sermon on the mount'. When he refers to those who are evil, he is talking to us because even now our nature is evil when you compare it to the goodness of our Lord and Savior. Earlier on Jesus says; "Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives and he who seeks finds and to him who knocks, it shall be opened." Matthew 7:7-8 Jesus is encouraging us to pray! When we come with clean hands and a pure heart we can approach our Lord with confidence. This gift of prayer is for all and we must pay close attention to receive God's answers.

"Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or, if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he?" Matthew 7:9-10 Receiving gifts are fun! Receiving gifts are surprises in pretty packages! Receiving graciously is a gift from God. Don't be embarrassed, just enjoy and say; "Thank you!" Jane Ann

No comments: