Tuesday, July 28, 2009

NOT WHAT I WANTED!
I have never really understood why we ask our children to make a Christmas list to give to Santa. We did it with our children! I still have a couple of lists that the kids made. How disappointing it must be for children when they make their list and when Christmas morning comes, the things they wanted turned into things that they didn't even ask for and some they didn't even want.

We always tried to get the kids things we knew they wanted, or thought they wanted and things we knew they needed. One Christmas, one of the things on Jennifer's lists we didn't get. She had asked for a camera! After all the gifts were opened and the paper picked up, she said; "Where's my camera? I asked Santa for a camera!" Oh boy! I always hated for my children to be disappointed. The day after Christmas I asked Jim, as he was leaving to go to the store, to pick up a small camera. I wrapped it up and Jim slid it under the chair Jennifer had been sitting in on Christmas morning. Needless to say she was thrilled when she found her missing package.

I don't believe I have ever opened a package and didn't want it. Like most mothers, you find a place for whatever it is, or you carefully put it away and when you look at it again you remember who gave it to you. I don't believe I have returned a gift, even wedding gifts, except for a coat and some clothes that Jim had bought for me. I returned them only because they didn't fit. He never bought me clothes again!

When I was turning around the corner of being 50, it was not what I wanted. I didn't want a party, a card or anything that said I was now 50. They say becoming 30 is hard, but I made it although a little melancholy. I was okay with 40 but then I didn't consider it over the hill. I surely didn't want any of the black decorations or pictures showing one foot in the grave.

At 60 my family gave me a party! It was nice having everyone over but again, being 60 was not my favorite thing. I believe there are lots of things that we don't want, but gifts are not one of them. It is always nice to receive a gift! We use to have 'secret sisters' at the church we attended some years ago. Once a month, you could be assured of having a gift on the back table with your name on it. That is if you had a good 'secret sister'. I usually did!

I heard of a man who as a pastor was concerned for the soul of a friend. Through the years he would try to lead him to Jesus and finally on the man's death bed, the pastor thought; "Now is my chance!" He talked to him about the saving grace of the Savior and explained this gift that was his for the taking, even now when his life was ebbing. The man raised his hand and said; "NO!" The pastor left his friends bedside with sadness of heart knowing that obviously this was just not what he wanted.

There are many out in the world who have heard of the saving grace of Jesus and are still saying no to the call. There are those who say; "Not today, maybe tomorrow!" The hearts of the world has been hardened and Jesus Christ is not what they want. They want what they consider happiness; peace; pretty things; night life; all the candy they can eat at the candy store. They want what they see with eyes big as can be, instead of seeing the possibility of eternity in heaven. Instead, their eternity will continue into an existence that will repel their soul.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 I love this verse because it shows the gentleness of our Savior. It shows how He loves us! It shows that His promise of helping us along the way is for eternity and not just for a moment. Take His yoke and lean upon Him and your resistance will melt into; "I want that!" Jane Ann

No comments: