Monday, July 20, 2009

WHEN IS IT THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY? 7/20/09

WHEN IS IT THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY?
We can go for years and not be aware of a physical problem until "bang" out of the blue it hits you. You don't have a clue, what just happened! You go to the emergency at the hospital and they send you to an Orthopedic who take x ray's and then tells you; "your fibula had a growth sticking out with a sharp point that was hitting your nerve in your right leg." What do you do? Jim had surgery! As he recovered, he discovered that now he had a slight limp. Not a bad one but a limp all the same and he will have it probably for the rest of his life. Gosh! Now he can't run the 10k race or even the 100 meter! He now wouldn't be able to do the long, jump; ever! Come to think of it, he couldn't do those things anyway! But now he never will! We are all like that! We put off doing things thinking that maybe someday! Then things happen which prevent us from ever doing it. We should take the chance, the risk and in spite of our age DO IT; NOW! Don't wait until tomorrow, because you do not know what tomorrow will hold and you don't know what condition your body will be in. When opportunity knocks, answer it!

I remember a time when I saw beauty and grace come out of complete chaos. Sometimes it is hard to tell someone else about what happened and what you experienced. Many years ago I was the church choir director. Having attended many "big" musical productions, I decided to give that a try. The opportunity was there and we began to do musical productions. Not only the choir but many others took part in the drama, stage props and choreography. The whole production was to use music to create interest and drama in telling the story. In learning the music, using the stage to it's full potential to the story, and getting everyone on the same page was always total chaos. However, even though the dress rehearsals would be disastrous, the actual performance would be wonderful. The story would be told, the music would be wonderful and everyone who participated would be totally blessed not to mention those who came to watch. What a creative way to tell the story of Christ!

Some years ago we were holding an Evangelistic Meeting at our church. Jim and I had invited the visiting Evangelist to our home which was about 10 miles out in the country. As we talked he soon discovered that we were involved in just about everything that went on in our small congregation. I wasn't complaining but I asked him what I should do. I was the SS Superintendent, Youth SS teacher and Director. I was the choir director which was doing big programs for Easter and Christmas. I was chairman of a month which prepared the communion for Sunday Worship and the monthly potluck. For 20 years I was the Installation Chairperson for the women's ministry. My problem was that I never seemed to have time to do my housework except on Saturdays, which meant our family of four were locked into being home cleaning house every Saturday. This frustrated me and often made me tired. Not to mention my family. The Evangelist sat for a moment and then quite calmly said; "Get a maid!"

Many times we allow things to hold us back from using every opportunity to serve the Lord. Things that keep us away from the fellowship and kingdom work. It is possible for us to become involved in busy work with the church and I know many look down on the thought of 'busy work' because we cannot be saved by doing works. "So faith without works is dead!" James 2:28b I am one of those who loves to see things happen within her church. I instigated many happenings, but I also would get as many as I could involved to bring it all about. Busy work?

In 1 Corinthians 15:21-27 it says that God places all earthly things under our feet, but God places all things in subjection under His Son's feet. Because in Adam all die but in Christ we shall be made alive. Jim says; "Relax! Take every opportunity to be involved in kingdom work and know that God is in charge. Put our Trust in him and His work will go forward. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/1/08

No comments: