Thursday, July 30, 2009

PASSING IT ON!
Since my sister Jewel passed away last year I am reminded of her every time I come across something in my home, drawers and cupboards that spark a memory of someone. I helped go through her home and after things were divided up within the family the rest was either 'Goodwill or trash'. I wasn't comfortable with that! Of course I understood that most didn't know why Jewel would keep some things but I understood. Most of these things were items that brought back memories to me too. All were keepers because she loved the givers.

The little doilies that Linda made to cover the cubed sugar bowls and the tea cozies that Joyce and Jewel made for our first Women's Tea at White City Church. The ornamental Christmas tree made by Bud's dad, out of buttons and jewelry. It was the sample that Jewel used to make ones for her family. The pottery that Bud was making when they were first married and music Bud downloaded so he could listen to his favorites when traveling. The list goes on!

I took it to heart and have given away handkerchiefs that I had received and never used, when it was fashionable to give handkerchiefs. It is easy for me to give away things knowing that even if I wanted to use it again, I could barrow it. Maybe!

I had a lovely red flimsy, silk oblong scarf, that my brother Layton gave to me upon his discharge from the Marines in 1957. I wore it over my shoulders a few times but always kept it in a little hosiery bag. After he passed away I would look at it when I was cleaning the drawer it was in or when I was thinking of him. Early this year I decided to give this scarf to my niece who is Layton's namesake. If it came down to 'Goodwill or trash' I am not sure my kids would even remember who gave it to me. I'm sure they would have kept it but at least with Layton, my memory will suffice for her to keep it for her life time. After that, who knows!

Jim's Mom was quite a character when it came to receiving gifts or even if she borrowed something from you. Many years ago she was decorating for a ladies Halloween luncheon at her church. She borrowed my sister Jean's cutest little scarecrow. It was about 18 inches high and was all ragged with straw everywhere. She thought it was cute also and that is why she borrowed it. Almost a year later I asked her for it back so I could return it to Jean. Very calmly she said; "I threw it away, because it was all ragged!"

Many times her children and grandchildren would send her gifts for her birthday or Christmas and many times we would find it in the trash. I would take it out of the trash and say; "Mom, you just got this; did you mean to throw it away?" She would reply; "I have no use for that!" Some times money is the best thing for the elderly except after she passed, we found some very old checks that she had put away, and never cashed. Of course, we just put them in the trash.

I love giving my kids things! I love sharing whatever I have with whoever needs it or wants it. That is unless I am actually using it. Many times we have bought something from a yard sale and would give it to the kids. They had to take it whether they wanted it or not. I love used and especially old things. I like new also, but being new is not my preference.

When we receive a gift, it doesn't cost us anything except a 'thank you'! When we give a gift, unless we do it in secret, a 'thank you' is nice. When our children bring home something they made at school we put it on the refrigerator to show it off. "But the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!" Romans 8:23b It is free to us because Christ paid for it on the cross. When we accept His gift we then thank Him by giving Him our life. His gift is the best gift of all! It amazes me how so many throw this gift in the trash and say; "I have no use for that!" You know, it is a choice we make and He will honor that choice! Pass it on! Jane Ann

No comments: