Monday, July 6, 2009

MY OWN PERSONAL STYLIST! 7/6/09

This week we will talk about how we are on the outside. Personal appearances; curb appeal and how God looks at us.
My Own Personal Stylist!
After I married, Jim and I bought our house pretty close to Gene and Joetta's. We became not just sisters but friends. She loved to shop and I didn't, but sometimes I would go. Joetta had an untapped talent called, creativity! She could sew! I remember a dress she made for herself out of three different patterns. She made my baby Jennifer, a doll dress to wear. She also had a flair with hair! She could have done well with her own shop but she didn't have a license. Today, with all the cutesy names, she could call it; "Flair with Hair" or "Hair with Flair"! On Saturday mornings she did my hair! She would shampoo, cut/style, give me perms. And when she saw me on Sunday, she would give me a final personal fluffing up. When I was pregnant with Danny she suggested she could give me a 'brush-up' which would perk me up while I was being so plump. I loved it! It was short, very curly, especially in the back and very eash to manage. You know, I don't think I ever paid her for being the best stylist I ever had!

About a year ago I asked my hairdresser to give me a 'brush-up'. She wasn't quite sure what it was. I did my best to explain; you cut it very short in the back and perm with the rollers going up instead of down. The sides will be curly also and would brush up towards the back. The top has a little bang. But all in all it is curly and easy to manage. Because my hair was so thin I thought this style would help hide some of the more bare spots. Obviously, hairdressers today have never even heard of 'brush-up'. First run through, wasn't bad! It was pretty close but not exactly like Joetta's style. Through the weeks following and subsequent trims and perms my hair began to fall into my new hair stylist, style. It never quite became a 'brush-up'!

I have never been a style setter, nor have I ever been inclined towards the latest fashions. I only like what I like and feel most comfortable with. I know there are a lot of women out there like me. However, I don't like going out of the house without my face on. When my grandson's were small each one was intrigued with the idea of 'putting my face on'. They would come into my bathroom, sit on the counter and watch me. One Sunday morning after I had finished getting ready for Sunday School and Church, Adam, almost 4 said; "Grandma, you're gorgeous"! Boy was he a charmer! As a matter of fact all three of those boys are charmers.

There is vanity in all of us, some have more than others. We want to look nice and presentable. If we look beautiful the more pleased we are. If we look country, well then we feel a little bit country. No matter how much money we spend on the outside, the inside never will measure up unless we fix it also. When we meet a 'homeless person' on the street we are made aware of how poor and seemingly alone they are. We see their need and although we are sorry for their condition, we are glad that our lives are not like that. When a 'homeless person' meets a well dressed person on the street they are made aware of how it could be but is not. We are all aware of those who have and those who are the have nots. I realize these are just words! Words we use to express what we see, hear and feel. Words that express the conditions of life.

When Jesus met the 10 lepers, he was not shocked at their appearance or their disabilities. He was moved with compassion. When Jesus visited Martha, Mary and Lazarus he was comfortable in their home not because of their wealth but because of their kindness to Him.
2 Corinithians 8:9 Paul brings to our attention that Jesus, although He was rich, became poor so that by His poverty we might become rich.

My hairdresser was concerned about my hair and was willing to try to fix it with a style she knew nothing about. I was willing to let her try. At least she had an idea! No matter what our outside appearance makes, it should reflect Jesus Christ. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/10/08

No comments: