Tuesday, July 7, 2009

THE WAY IT WAS!
When I was a child I remember hearing stories about a family that my older brothers and sisters were acquainted with. I could only imagine their home as well as I could only imagine such a life style. The boy's name was Elmer! Their home and personal hygiene left more to my nasal imagination than it did to my visual. I would hear about the farm animals that would wander in and out of the home. How unkempt they were and how they accepted the way it was.

When we would vacation in Oregon we visited my Mom and the other siblings that had already moved to this beautiful green country. On one of our outings Mom along with Jewel and her husband Bud took us out to a place called Wimer to visit some relatives that lived in that area. While we were there they took us to a place that I could only refer to as Ma and Pa Kettle's Farm. Those who are old enough would know immediately what that would entail. Jim and I sat along a wall and watched while Ma Kettle made butter with her hands while Mom and Jewel anxiously awaited their purchase of fresh homemade butter.

As I remember sitting in that kitchen my memory took me back to the stories of Elmer and his home. I didn't see any animals wondering in and out but oh my, the kitchen and their home left much to be desired. On this farm there were many farm animals. They had a pig that stood as tall as a horse and weighed as much as two. To Jewel and Mom it was a treat to be there; for Jim and me it was unbelievable!

Appearances are what we see and make impressions of. However, just because it is the way it is, doesn't make it, who the people are. Circumstances sometimes dictate how things become. Those who adapt to their situations and make the most of it are to be applauded. Most "Citified" people allow their abundance to dictate circumstances to become the way it is.

Growing up in a large family where we would use every inch of the housing provided us was to be considered creative ingenuity. It was the way it was! We learned to adapt and to be happy regardless of our circumstances. At least that is how I saw it!

In biblical times life was pretty much as it is today. The Schunamite Woman had substance and built on an addition so that Elisha had a place to stay when he came to town. Elijah, had nothing and lived under a tree for three years, and ate what the birds brought him. Jesus didn't have a home and a stone was His pillow. Can you imagine our Savior a homeless person? According to the scriptures, He was! Martha and Mary along with their brother would scurry around preparing a place for Jesus and His disciples when they heard they were coming to town.

Do you have a place for a homeless person? Do you have compassion for those who are actually homeless due to circumstances? Oh, I know there are many out there who choose to be in those kinds of straights because they are bucking the establishment. They don't want to participate in the society that expects something from them. I know there are many out there who feel they deserve to be taken care of instead of being a part of a community. Jesus said the poor will always be with us. Whether by circumstances or by desire, the poor are with us!

"Listen, my beloved brethren. Has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He has promised to those who love Him?" James 2:5 It is harder for the rich to be satisfied, even though they have much. God has chosen the poor because they give up worldly ways to belong to the kingdom of God. We have riches in our faith, because we are poor in the spirit! However, there are many with abundance that are also rich in faith and poor in spirit because they also have come to know the Lord. Being humble before the lord makes up rich! Jane Ann

No comments: